Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Sketchblog Invitation

Blog reader Jen Zeller commented about the recent post "Art by Committee":
It would be quite awesome if you could offer one of these as a weekly inspiration to us sketch-happy blog followers. I get the feeling many of us would love to give back a bit in this job, but on the other hand, you do spend a lot of valuable time with this blog already, and we don't want to go getting greedy. It's a great idea, makes me remember my school days in biology, where I was constantly poking fun with sketches at something the teacher or our text books said.


Thanks, Jen. Let's try it. Here's an excerpt for you, and anyone else who'd like to create a sketch illustrating the line about the Khalians above. No prizes--not a contest. If you'd like to email me your sketch at jgurneyart@yahoo.com, I'll post the results, along with the sketch from the Art by Committee book, on Wednesday of next week.

7 comments:

Erik Bongers said...

Hear-hear to Jen Zeller.
My submission is already on the pony express.

Frank-Joseph said...

Reminds me of ConceptArt.org's "Daily Sketch Group"...

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Unknown said...

Howdy Jim,
Thanks for running such a great blog, there's always something new. Great entry on animorphic charactersm. I love Rien Poortvliet, I used to draw from his dog book all the time. I posted my take on your Khalians. What a cool challenge. Keep the great blog posts coming! I'm working on a little ten-page comic featuring dinosaurs, so I'm gathering as much reference as I can. I've been sketching from Dinotopia of course, and Mark Schultz's Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. Douglas Henderson is another superb artist--his environments have a great sense of atmposphere and he works a great deal in black and white, which I call diNOIRsaur. Terrible joke. Anyway, if you know of any other great paleoartists, please let me know.
Later Jim!
Austin

James Gurney said...

Thanks everybody. We've got five in so far, and they're all great solutions, wildly different.

Austin, can't wait to see your dinosaur comic. There are so many incredible paleo artists and sculptors that I hesitate to mention any for fear of leaving off someone. You probably already know these resources, but for anyone else, a good place to see contemporary paleoart is in the magazine Prehistoric Times. I also love Michael Ryan's Palaeoblog.blogspot for science and pop culture news and lots of links.

Sarah Stevenson said...

Great idea! I found your blog thanks to Sara Lewis Holmes. If you don't mind a complete stranger participating, I'll send one in tomorrow...

Anonymous said...

Oh great! I can hardly wait to see everyone's work, and have just sent mine off. As a note to Austin, I'm also an avid dino fan -my inspirations have been in no particular order:
The Land Before Time (first one)
The art of Crash (just check out stanwinstonstudio.com and you'll know what I mean) Bill Watterson also did some great dinosaur drawings in his Calvin & Hobbes strips. John Gurche has painted a lot of great dino paintings for National Geographic too. I must also swear on my dino encyclopedia for skeletal and extended reference: link I hope you -and all of the other dino enthusiasts out there- enjoy these refs as I have.

James Gurney said...

Jen, thanks for the dino reference tips. And Sarah Holmes, I appreciate you passing on the word; and thanks for visiting, A. Fortis. There are no strangers here--think of it as one big coffee shop. Look forward to your sketch.